Hello, Robert, and welcome to GnuCash:

On 2024-04-08 22:03, Robert Dew wrote:
I have a a number of small, separate, but interconnected companies that I'd
like to
have separate accounting systems for.

Does GnuCash allow for multiple businesses, or would I need to install a
separate
version for each business

The wording "install a separate version for each business" is a bit confusing to me.

GnuCash is an application which you install on your local personal computer, be it Windows, Mac, or Linux.  Then your bookkeeping data is stored in a "book file", a data file with extension "gnucash".  Normally one installs a single copy of the GnuCash app to one's computer, and then creates one or multiple data files. Because there is a only a single copy of the GnuCash app, it has only a single app version.

It is possible to install multiple copies of the GnuCash app, but it requires some fiddling. For normal use, there is no reason to do so.

If keeping books for separate but interconnected companies, you can choose to have a separate book file for each company, or put the transactions for different companies in a single book file with a sprawling chart of accounts to describe each of the companies. Which you choose is an accounting decision. You should equip yourself with accounting advice and expertise.  Which way does your accountant recommend you structure the bookkeeping?

It's a little unclear if GnuCash operates, or can be made to operate, via a
remote
web browser. I see references to using X-windows which would be an acceptable
option, web/browser based would be my preference.

GnuCash is an application which you install on your local personal computer. It is not web hosted or accessed via a web browser.

Also note that GnuCash is limited to one user at a time.  If you are editing the book file and I want to edit also, then I have to wait until you close the book file before I can open it. If you want multiple employees to be doing bookkeeping on the same book file at once, this limit might be a problem for you.

Is there any restrictions on the self hosted version.

GnuCash is free software, so probably No, there are not the kind of restrictions on the locally installed app which you might be thinking of.  But to be sure, you need to read the GnuCash licence agreement, and maybe consult your own lawyer.

One more thing: because GnuCash is free software, there is no charge to download GnuCash, install it, set up some test book files, and try experiments. If you like what it does, keep using it, and start new book files with the real data. If you don't like it, then move on to look for something else.

Good luck with your search,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, using GnuCash for my small business since 2006ish.