Hi, all. I had an odd transaction labeled as a "price margin code change" show up on a brokerage account recently. It appears to represent having "sold" all of my shares at one price, then "buying" them back at a slightly different price, with the difference made up in having somewhat more or fewer shares, depending on the commodity. Afterward, I have the same dollar value in the account, just with a different number of shares at a different price.

Is there a good way to record this in Gnucash? It feels vaguely like a stock split or merger, but I don't see exactly how I'd use that function.

I could just enter a single transaction that adjusts the number of shares up or down, using the new price. After that, the dollar value of the account would be the same as before and the number of shares would match what the brokerage says, but there would be a crazy jump in the price history for the commodity, and some corresponding income or expense that is meaningless (representing the buy/sell of the shares at the old price).

Alternatively, I could just create a new Gnucash account and commodity, and basically "sell" all of the shares at the old price, then "buy" the new commodity with that money. It would just cause a giant, meaningless transaction sequence and would sort of disconnect the history of the account. It feels like a worse choice, given that the price difference is just a couple percent.

Hope that makes sense. Any thoughts? Anyone seen this happen before?

Regards,
-Steve