On 15 Apr 2024, at 01:45, Oleander via gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
> is "Housing" a proper account name if I want to include only my apartment
> expenses like Rent/Mortgage and Repairs&Maintenance? I'd like to record my
> Utilities expenses separately within another account so that my "Housing"
> account adds up only the expenses related to the building.

Yes, Expenses:Housing would be fine.

Remember that you can set up “Child” accounts, for example...

Expenses:Housing:Utilities
Expenses:Housing:Rent
Expenses:Housing:Repairs

…which would allow you to generate separate reports from each Child separately
or in any combination - it all depends on how granular you want your reports.

You could also split the Utilities into Expenses:Housing:Utilities:Gas,
Expenses:Housing:Utiliities:Electrity etc if you want to go that far.

When you’re setting this up, it’s probably better to overdo the granularity,
because it’s less trouble to merge two children than to separate the (say) Gas
and Electricity transactions, if you change your mind later.

HTH

Michael