I don't see any delays on either Windows (Win 10, 16G RAM), or my M1 iMac
(Sonoma 14.4.1; 16G RAM), or or Linux (Ubunto 22.04LTS, 8G RAM). In all
cases, the file is stored on my NAS with spinning hard drives (that is, not
an SSD), and I am saving to a compressed file (I've not changed this since
I started, so I assume that these are the default settings).  My file size
is about 2.2M

Could it be that you are saving to a SQL database? I remember reading here
that (unlike the standard option) it saves after every transaction. Maybe
the database is on a slowish drive?

Otherwise, I don't know why there would be such a lengthy delay after doing
an entry.

I assume you've run the Check/Repair just to verify that there isn't some
file problem?