4.x introduced a better 'type ahead search' in that field if I'm not mistaken, which could be why you see a discrepancy between 3.8 & 4.8.

You can still use the old method either directly by typing the beginning of the full account path with separators like before to speed things up, or just start typing something matching the desired account and the list will be limited accordingly.

There is also a global preference I believe to use the old behavior. (pre 4.x)

If this isn't what you are describing, then please excuse the noise.