On 5/9/2024 2:57 AM, Deva via gnucash-user wrote:
Ted,

If you have setup your accounts based on suggestions in the tutorial and
concepts guide, you can try the following report -

Reports -> Income & Expense -> Income and GST Statement

In your case, GST = Sales Tax

We MIGHT need a clarification, but my sense was that the sales tax amounts collected but not yet sent to the gov't were (correctly) being credited to a liability, not an income account. So would not show up as an account under an I&E report. In other words, the amount collected (on behalf of some gov't) not being considered income so when paid to the gov't not an expense. Never YOUR money, just holding it for the gov't till sent, quarterly, or whatever.

Maybe what we want here is a better description of the report that is wanted? What is it supposed to show?. For example, were I running a business that was collecting sales tax for many states, I'd probably want a report showing how much I owed each << and I think I would be using part of a Balance Sheet report to get that (ignore the rest of it). in other words, I'd have a parent under liabilities "sales tax owed" under which a child for each jurisdiction. Run each quarter (or whatever) looking at JUST this parent and its children to see what payment to make to each jurisdiction >>

Michael D Novack

Michael D Novack