Correct. The Check & Repair should run silently automatically upon first opening your file with 5.5, but it doesn't hurt to do it intentionally.

The biggest change I recall between 4 & 5 is the new type-ahead search method for the Description field. I personally prefer the change, but some folks didn't like it by how they use that field and their unique list of existing Descriptions.

There is also an issue for some, but not others with respect to registers not auto-filling memos from previous session transactions. (I'm one so affected) Mileage may vary on that one.

As always - keep a backup.

And since you are not on the last 4.x release on the old machine, I wouldn't go back and forth with the same file. Once you migrate, stick to 5.5 or drop back to 4.8 and stay there until you decide to finally make the upgrade should you notice any problems.