Hi, all.

Loving Gnucash -- thanks so much for all the development and maintenance to
help make it what it is.

TL;DR -- Are GUID's for elements (e.g. transactions/splits) in the
xml-formatted save files generated and used such that they are required to
be anything other than simple unique identifiers? I'm not sure if this
makes sense, but I'm worried that, in addition to being unique identifiers,
they may also serve as some sort of check-sum for consistency like I
believe git commits do.

A few more details:
I'd like to be able to have my wife and me both able to interact with our
joint gnucash file via a hosted git repository as a way to
(a) track history with a bit more detail than the auto-generated backup
files
(b) allow us to both work on the same file

So far, I set gnucash on our two separate computers to each save as xml
without compression, making the git diffs quite readable and enabling merge
conflict resolution to merge changes back into the main branch when
conflicts arise.

When we have both done some basic work (e.g. entering some transactions),
and then want to merge our files, it is generally a relatively
straightforward process of making sure all the transactions in the xml file
are present in the resulting file. We could also update the transaction
count that is stored in the file, but I've found so far that leaving that
not updated doesn't seem to cause problems (making me wonder what it is
there for).

I've done a few basic tests where I take a simple file and carry out that
workflow, then reopen the merged file in Gnucash. So far, the result always
seems to be as expected with all separately entered transactions present.

So my question is whether anyone sees any potential issues with this. One
particular worry that came to mind is about the GUID's in the file. Each
transaction and sub-component like the split lines has a GUID. When I merge
the files, I simply copy the corresponding lines for each transaction into
the merged file with whatever GUID was made on the branch.

Are the GUIDs generated and subsequently used in any way that might cause
consistency problems later such as a checksum of the save file at the state
they were added? Or am I okay as long as they're all unique, even if they
were generated and manually merged from, effectively, two different gnucash
files (from branches)?

Bonus question:
Is there a particular algorithm for generating valid GUID's, or can they be
any (unique) valid string with the allowed characters? I'm somewhat
interested in the idea of programmatically adding elements to the xml file,
and this would be a consideration in doing so.

Thanks,
Ray
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to