I'm replying to the list here. This reply never made it to the archives even though it was sent to the gnucash-user list.

Regards,

Bruce


On 9/26/26 9:45 AM, John Ralls wrote:
Intersting. Your screenshot shows that webkitgtk is getting the number of bytes that make up a single scan line (the “stride”) wrong, If the stride is too small then some of the bytes intended for the next line get drawn on the correct one; if too large the extra bytes get drawn on the next line. Either way causes that angled smear.

At least you didn’t get a hard crash like https://github.com/block/buzz/issues/2338.

Your first link is a bit out of date. The current explanation of WebKitGtk’s drawing architecture (along with a little history) may be found at https://docs.webkit.org/Ports/WebKitGTK%20and%20WPE%20WebKit/Graphics.html.

Regards,
John Ralls


On Sep 26, 2026, at 01:05, Bruce Olson via gnucash-user <[email protected]> wrote:

I have an old PC with an old graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce GT 610, that uses the built-in, open-source nouveau driver.

System specs:
Distro: Linux Mint 22.1 Xia base: Ubuntu 24.04 noble
Kernel: 6.8.0-142-generic
Desktop: Cinnamon v: 6.4.14
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11
Version: 5.16+ (Flathub 5.16)

The workaround, WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1, has worked since 2/21/2025. I logged into my old computer and discovered this workaround no longer works for displaying reports. I have attached an example.

This is the output from the terminal:
$ flatpak run --env=WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 org.gnucash.GnuCash
Gtk-Message: 23:14:42.987: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
$

I tried this workaround, WEBKIT_DISABLE_DMABUF_RENDERER=1, and this fixed the report display.

This is the output in the terminal:
$ flatpak run --env=WEBKIT_DISABLE_DMABUF_RENDERER=1 org.gnucash.GnuCash
Gtk-Message: 23:43:23.661: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
$

The Gtk-Message: 23:43:23.661: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module" had no affect on GnuCash running in Flatpak.

I'm including some URLs that have info that looks pertinent to this issue.
https://www.phoronix.com/news/WebKitGTK-DMA-BUF-Rendering
https://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2023/04/03/webkitgtk-accelerated-compositing-rendering/

Similar workarounds for other apps:
https://github.com/winfunc/opcode/issues/26
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/webkit-tauri-application-white-screen-on-dgx-spark-gpupermission-issues/348741/2

Regards,
Bruce
<202609252315_corrupted_report_display.png>_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to