If I wire transfer funds from a my own bank account in one country to to another account of mine in a second country, the simple way of handling this (after booking the transfer fee at both ends) is to just manually fix the fair exchange rate proposed by Gnucash to the usurious one the bank gave me.

This way I get a single transaction from one bank direct to the other. As far as I can see, the only disadvantages are that I get a stupid rate in my exchange history and I'm not tracking the exchange markup fees.

But if I do it a dozen times a year, I might prefer to track my cost for "usurious exchange rates" separately, and also have my rate history not jump up when I send money one way and swing back in the other when I send money in the other direction.

Is there a best practice regarding this? Does the Trading Accounts feature of Gnucash make this more automatic, and if I enable it, will it complicate other aspects of booking Forex transactions?

Thanks as always, Paul

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to