Paul,

Those are the three options availablefor installing GnuCash on Linux. 
Building from the tarball (or a cone from the Github repository is
fairly simple once you have the dependencies setup. The first step is
to run cmake to setup the build files. That process halts when a
missing dependency (most commonly the development header for a library)
is not found on the system. Sometimes the library files have a slightly
different name from what cmake reports as the library name. Using "apt-
cache search <package name>" at a terminal you can usually identify the
appropriate name to use and load with apt ( maybe apt-get on Ubuntu).
At various times there have been shell scripts for loading the
dependencies if you search the mailing list archives. They may need a
bit of updating. I run Linux Mint and when I do a new install of the OS
from scratch I usually use the above strategy with cmake and apt-search
and update the shell script first time I build on a new OS install. I
think there is a copyof the shell script on the Wiki in the Linux
install section as well.

You can install all three versions but you may get some collisions
between the install from a repository and a self built version, less so
with the flatpak because it is sandboxed. Where the flatpak places the
user preference files may be different although I don't know that is
necessarily the case. 

I usually build and install on Linux MInt in /usr/local and AFAIK the
repository version gets installed under /usr but there may be conflicts
with the shared library files if they are different versions of GC
although AFAIK they are still separate. It's been so long since I
installed the repository version (2.something) that I am no longer
sure. The Ubuntu and Linux Mint repositories usually only catch up to a
fairly recent version at a major OS release point.

On Sun, 2026-10-04 at 19:32 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> Playing around with a VM that I had earlier installed 5.14 on, I
> found 
> GC failed to start after Ubuntu upgraded itself to 26.04. It's an 
> unimportant historical install, so I just started hacking at things.
> I 
> updated the dependencies and tried a new build, but that also failed,
> so 
> I just deleted the whole gnucash folder in /opt and am about to
> restart 
> from scratch.
> 
> This whole thing is an exercise in better understand how the various 
> elements interact or conflict, so I'm just playing. It seems I have 3
> basic alternatives:
> 1. build from source (presumably download the sources tarball, expand
> and run the build)
> 2. use Software to install the default gnucash from the Ubuntu 
> repositories
> 3. use Software to install the flatpak version
> 
> Is that correct, and are all three of these fundamentally equivalent 
> (vis-a-vis execution, not development) if successfully installed?
> 
> Also, can I do all three on the same Ubuntu system without creating 
> conflicts?
> 
> Thanks for all help, Paul
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [email protected]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

-- 
David Cousens
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to