The type of dialog Adrian suggests would be a very sensible feature.
Sometimes one really does need to do the polynomial regression, even if
to show the issues, so it is not right to completely bar an approach.
However, when we have an interested person, it's a good opportunity to
point them towards potentially better methods. There was some discussion
of such dialogs in the 80s for statistical software, and there's some of
these ideas in some of the packages. Certainly I'm interested in helping
out on this sort of thing, and have been gradually clawing away at other
stuff I have to do so I can return to the test spreadsheets, which are
one way to bring the issues to light.

JN