The complexities of the "edge effects" are best kept out of the
spreadsheet, as Morten indicates. However, there are some computations
that might be influenced by how a particular internal calculation is
performed. I was earlier looking at the ends of the Gaussian (normal)
distribution where one gets some weirdness in Excel. This could be
because very small numbers are handled poorly.

It is in the special functions etc. that I would think Gnumeric and
other spreadsheets are most likely to be interested in IEEE 754 and its
revision.

Must admit I was unaware of 754r activity. Thanks Dave. For info,
there's a nice Wikipedia item at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754r
with a link to a recent essay by Velvel Kahan (who was really the person
who got all the floating point stuff going, and in the 1960s pretty well
embarassed IBM into retrofitting the 360 with guard digits for floating
point) that gives a nice and nasty example using Excel. I've tried this
in Gnumeric and get somewhat different results, but which I'm sure would
upset novice users.

JN