On 01/29/2016 04:22 AM, ken wrote:
> If she's after names of people, that's going to be a few names.  This
> is open source, after all.  But in that case in the package itself
> (and I don't know which one she used) she should go through the files
> contained in that package.  I just looked quickly through them and
> there are especially files called README*, CITATION, COPYRIGHTS, and
> probably others containing names of people who contributed effort.
> The CITATION files contain citations to scholarly journal articles...
> maybe that's what she's after???  And there may be yet other files she
> would want to see.  There are a lot of *.html files too in that
> package.  Anyway, maybe she needs to look in the files already
> installed on her computer.
As I'm understanding Gabriela, Tim is right. She needs the information
for a citation for Gnumeric itself. She supplied the corresponding
information for R to illustrate what she needs (and in a citation style
that I'm personally unfamiliar with).

I think what she is most likely missing is an author or organization
that is responsible for Gnumeric and another one that publishes it. As I
was looking around in her response to her question, I think the Gnome
Foundation (if I'm remembering the name right) might be listed as a
publisher; sometimes this can also be used in place of the author.

> On 01/29/2016 06:26 AM, Tim Schofield wrote:
>> Ken, I think Gabriela is asking how Gnumeric should be credited in the
>> paper they are publishing.
>>
>> Tim

>>> Gabriela,
>>>
>>> I don't understand what sort of citation you're seeking or what that
>>> citation is meant to verify or support.  Perhaps you could explain this
>>> more...?
>>>
>>> In the off-chance it might be helpful, here's the entry for R-core
>>> included
>>> in the RPM package:

>>> $ rpm -qi R-core
>>> Name        : R-core                       Relocations: (not
>>> relocatable)
>>> Version     : 3.2.3                             Vendor: Fedora Project
>>> Release     : 1.el5                         Build Date: Fri 11 Dec 2015
>>> 09:19:43 PM EST
>>> Install Date: Wed 06 Jan 2016 09:37:28 AM EST      Build Host:
>>> buildvm-03.phx2.fedoraproject.org
>>> Group       : Applications/Engineering      Source RPM:
>>> R-3.2.3-1.el5.src.rpm
>>> Size        : 84421779                         License: GPLv2+
>>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 15 Dec 2015 04:30:09 AM EST, Key ID
>>> 119cc036217521f6
>>> Packager    : Fedora Project
>>> URL         : http://www.r-project.org
>>> Summary     : The minimal R components necessary for a functional
>>> runtime
>>> Description :
>>> A language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
>>> R is similar to the award-winning S system, which was developed at
>>> Bell Laboratories by John Chambers et al. It provides a wide
>>> variety of statistical and graphical techniques (linear and
>>> nonlinear modelling, statistical tests, time series analysis,
>>> classification, clustering, ...).
>>>
>>> R is designed as a true computer language with control-flow
>>> constructions for iteration and alternation, and it allows users to
>>> add additional functionality by defining new functions. For
>>> computationally intensive tasks, C, C++ and Fortran code can be linked
>>> and called at run time.

David Benfell, Ph.D.
benf...@parts-unknown.org