Build system problems are difficult to handle because there is really
no way to make sure a change won't break
someone else's build.  (And note that this holds independent of the
particular build system in use.)

At the autogen level, in practice, what I do is to make sure things
work for me, Andreas, and Jean.  The method is that
they tell me when I break something and we hash it out.  It doesn't scale.

At the tarball level there is a slow feedback from distributions.  The
major ones are pretty good at letting me know of problems,
generally arising from them using newer dependents than I do.

Now, specifically m4/glib-gettext.m4.  You probably had a copy from a
previous version of your distribution, i.e., from before a
system upgrade.  That happens, but I can't really tell the difference
between an edited file and an old file, so blowing the file
away unconditionally seems unwise.

Morten