I tried to write a script to do some basic operations, but I immediately
hit problems in introspection
and/or pygobject.  Specifically, something gets terminally confused over
sheet_cell_set_value
leading to a double-free.  Even if they fix that right now, it's going to
be years before stable distributions
will see the fix.

In this particular case I might be able to paper over the problem by
interposing a function that copies
its argument instead of taking ownership.  That'll slow down python a bit,
but if you're using python
you're probably not that much in a hurry.

The key to getting parts of Gnumeric available via python is to have
accurate introspection annotations
for the relevant APIs.  If anyone feels like helping with that, it would be
appreciated.

Morten