On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:49 AM, gerry_lowry (alliston ontario canada) wrote:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1620
How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key

http://www.apple.com/support/security/pgp/
Protecting Security Information

F.Y.I.: I've not noticed anything similar from Microsoft and other software companies.

Most seem to be happy with MD5 and SHA1 for files and nothing else.

Also, Apple even provides links to PGP Corporation and GnuPG plus its key and key ID.

      This is our PGP key which is valid until May 15, 2010
Key ID: 0x8A648901 Key Type: RSA Expires: 5/15/10 Key Size: 2048/2048
      Fingerprint: 39EC C76A 3D62 7062 C321 10B2 7928 75E8 8A64 8901
      UserID: Apple Product Security

This from Apple is like an endorsement of PGP/GPG technology.

One of the bugs I filed with Apple is how their Product Security group uses PGP signatures for the advisories, but their own Mail application only supports S/MIME and certificates. This is fine, but I'd like to see them be a bit consistent.