On Oct 20, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, David Shaw wrote:

On Oct 15, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
I'm running:
echo foo | gpg -v -v --auto-key-locate cert --recipient gu...@gushi.org --encrypt -a And get gpg: error retrieving `gu...@gushi.org' via DNS CERT: No fingerprint
I exported my key with:
gpg --export --export-options minimal > file; and make-dns-cert -n gushi.gushi.org -f file

It works fine for me.  What version of GPG are you using?

I tried this again, after I nuked the "fingerprint" cert record.

Oddly, running on gpg2 on an older debian system, I get:

# echo "foo" | gpg2 -v -v --auto-key-locate cert --encrypt -r gu...@gushi.org
gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)
gpg: error retrieving `gu...@gushi.org' via DNS CERT: General error
gpg: gu...@gushi.org: skipped: General error
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: General error

That first line specifically makes me scratch my head a bit.

You didn't give an actual version number (run gpg2 --version), so I can only make an educated guess, but I do think I see your problem. You don't have one key in your CERT - you have two (309C17C5 and 624BB249) combined into one DNS record. That doesn't work - it's a one-name-one-key mapping. We should give a better error message in this case.

Can you try again with a single key in your CERT? Alternately, if you want both of your keys, you could use 2 different CERT records for the gushi.gushi.org. name, each with one of your keys (rather than 1 CERT record with a payload containing two keys). Note that this will usually result in round-robining for those people who don't have your key, which may or may not be what you want.

At least using gpg 2.0.13, and a single key in the CERT, this works properly for me. I can't speak for an earlier version.

All of that said, I think it's worth pointing out that IPGP (the fingerprint+URL variation of CERT) is far more useful that PGP (the full key). Not all systems are going to be able to pass a 1718-byte DNS message, as yours is.

I suspect strongly that this feature doesn't get the most broad platform testing. Let me know if you'd like to help.

Please do!  More testing is always welcome.

David