On 18/10/16 10:58, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> I don't think the attack to USB communication could be mitigated by
> pinpad card reader.  If such an attack is possible, a user already
> would be defeated.

It would IMO not prevent key usage, so in that sense the user is defeated. It
would still limit the time of exposure, since key extraction should still be
prohibitively difficult.

This is a contentious topic I think :-). People put different amounts of stock
in the protection afforded by smartcards, and the likelihood of attack
scenarios.

> It is common for such card readers to have only numeric pads.  That
> limits the entropy of passphrase, considerably.

But luckily, entropy demands on a smartcard PIN are really low. The card locks
after three tries.

Conversely, if you protect your on-disk key with a 10-digit decimal number, an
attacker having the encrypted file could do the required average of 500 million
tries in less time than it takes you to make a cup of coffee.

A PIN just needs to be unguessable, i.e., properly random. It doesn't have to
withstand keyspace enumeration.

My 2 cents,

Peter.

Note to self: make cup of coffee.