Fourhundred Thecat <400the...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> In fact, gpg epitomizes a perfect anti-UNIX design. (See Eric S. Raymond for
> details, what UNIX philosophy means)

> I believe this project is going in the wrong direction, and bad design
> decisions are being made.

Was not it you who have just complained about introduction of gpg-agent, that
is about switching from a solid rock tool to a set of independent programs that
are communicating via textual streams — in other words, about GPGv2 be much
more UNIX-wayish that GPGv1?

> There are more examples of bad design.

> For instance, even for basic operations (encrypt, decrypt) ‹…› gpg still
> requires my ~/.gnupg/ to be writable (cannot me on read-only filesystem)

Heh.  Use of files as a temporal storage medium or just unique entities for
anything from sockets to boolean flags, and therefore a need for writable FS to
store them, is a hallmark of UNIX-way design.

You might believe that UNIX-way design is a bad design, of course, and that GPG
should have joined the trend of moving _away_ from it before it had became a
mainstream (cf. systemd, Wayland, etc); but saying ‘UNIX’ to mean ‘cool’ looks
funny as hell.