Unrelated note: I find the rhetoric of a few posts in this thread
absolutely astounding. From a crypto question to red scare and "my army
is going to kick your country's ass if it dares talk to me" in two easy
steps ? This is vile.

"Tell it to the Marines" is a standard American and British proverb. It even has its own Wikipedia page. Television shows like "Happy Days" and "M*A*S*H" had episodes named "Tell It to the Marines", and it was even used in a "Doctor Who" episode once.

The British use it to mean "I am not so foolish as to believe your claims."

In America, it can have the same meaning as the British, but we also have a sense of "your plan requires that I comply, and I will not; and any attempt to compel my compliance will be resisted with overwhelming force."

When someone claims that American citizens without any connection to the EU must obey EU laws, "tell it to the Marines" and its rhetorical brethren seem entirely appropriate, in both the British and American senses. It's a profoundly silly statement which, if taken seriously, would be absolutely guaranteed to be resisted vigorously by the United States.