On Thu, 4 Aug 2022, Jan Eden via Gnupg-users wrote:

Hi,

I just check for a list of ransomware filename patterns (e.g.
*.cryptotorlocker*).

Best regards,
Jan

On 2022-08-04 18:58, Uwe Brauer via Gnupg-users wrote:

Hi

I apologize for this message that can be a bit off topic.
(I am on Ubuntu 16.04)

How can I find say encrypted files in my home directory? The idea is to
use some magic command together with the find command.
I know

    1. The file command will return for example for a gpg encrypted file
       file .authinfo.gpg
       .authinfo.gpg: PGP RSA encrypted

    2. However for X509 file I obtain
       file test.p12
       file.p12: data

    3. I could use the ent command which measure the entropy, high
       entropy is an indication of encryption (but jpg have also high
       entropy). However I should then study the distribution of each
       letter to be sure.

So is there any other way to run find and some other script to find
suspicious  files? Google is not really helpful

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Hi Uwe,

my first thought would be to look for compressability (or entropy, as you suggested) of files. Encrypted files should look like good randomness, thus not compressable. I would then eliminate the false positives (which are most likely compressed) by checking their integrity "by protocol" - i.e. "convert this jpeg to an bmp -> is the bmp (much) bigger than the jpeg?"

regards,
Erich