> On 19 Jun 2017, at 10:10, David Chisnall <thera...@sucs.org> wrote:
>
> On 24 Apr 2017, at 09:57, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <richard.frith-macdon...@theengagehub.com> wrote:
>>
>> Setting variables in make is fairly straightforward, but I think only you
>> (and clang geeks) understand how these flags are actually supposed to work.
>>
>> How are you supposed to turn use of the non-fragile ABI on/off  what flags
>> do you need to supply at compile time and what (if any) are supplied at link
>> time for
>> a. building with the non-fragile ABI and
>> b. building without non-fragile ABI
>
> Non-fragile ABI is the default with all modern runtimes.  The correct way of
> specifying a runtime is with -fobjc-runtime={name}-{version}.  So, for a
> recent GNUstep runtime, you’d pass -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7.  The compiler
> will then enable all of the features that it knows that this version of the
> runtime supports.  For example, it will use objc_msgSend on architectures
> where the runtime supports this, but use the two-stage lookup on other
> platforms.

Thanks ... that sounds clear but forgive me for wasting time dopuble-checking;
We should remove support for specifying the fragile/nonfragile option from
gnustep make since it doesn't work on any new systems?
I'm happy with that (while I'd dearly like to be able to inspect variables
under debug without having to make explicit function calls to the runtime, I'm
sure people can live with that limitation).