Hi everybody,

around this time of the year Apple uses to hold its „World Wide Developer
Conference“ or short WWDC to reveal what new features of their OSes they have
developed over the last year.

Since GNUstep is a free (as in speech) and open implementation of Cocoa, I
thought it might be of interest for us of „What's new in Foundation“ / „What's
new in AppKit“ this year.

Because of COVID WWDC21 is a virtual online conference this year (like the year
ago) and everything is available as free (as in beer) online videos which can
be watched without registration on every modern web browser (I tried current
versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome and experienced no problems). All the
videos are available here: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc21/sessions/
<https://developer.apple.com/wwdc21/sessions/>

Of most interest for GNUstep should be those two sessions:

What's new in Foundation —
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10109/
<https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10109/> — 37:30 min

and

What's new in AppKit — https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10054/
<https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10054/> — 21:30 min

While all of the code examples shown in those videos are in Swift (which is the
case since Apple went „full in“ on Swift some years ago) the basic changes seem
to be made to the ObjC layer at least where it made sense. There are some short
mentions of this matter of fact made by the hosts of both sessions — it’s just
not presented on the silver plate for us, we might have to dig their
documentation for the details. Nevertheless I think both videos are a good
overview and entry point for finding out what has changed, therefore I posted
those links here.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

        Lars