I’m far from the being an authority on ObjC relative to others on this
listserv, but I’ll take a stab at responding. The reason ObjC has its syntax is
largely because it was developed around the same time as C++ (slightly after,
but close enough) — in other words, it was developed at a time before the
C++-style syntax had become a de facto standard. ObjC’s syntax style was
largely derived from Smalltalk.

Personally, I like ObjC’s syntax. It was certainly a change from what I was
used to, but I actually prefer it in a lot of scenarios. The time when I don’t
like it is when you have a line that starts with [[[[ and you have to really
work to figure how many opening square brackets you need.

And regarding whether you can use C++-style syntax, to use ObjC—that’s kind of
a meaningless question. That syntax, for all intents and purposes *is*
Objective C. I think what you’re trying to ask is whether you can do Cocoa
programming using C++. Someone probably has worked on that at some point, but I
suspect it’s not well supported. My suggestion is to try and learn Objective C
and you may be surprised to learn that you like it after you get used to it :)

Cheers,
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone