It could also happen if you change the configuration of the material (in
case you point it to a different repo, for instance). That can cause it to
be seen as a new material and the old commits (and hence the SHAs) won't
show up in the autocomplete. As a rule, if it doesn't show up in the
dropdown, it won't be allowed to be built (you'll see the error you saw
there).