After some consideration I believe that the issue lies in this defect:
https://github.com/gocd/gocd/issues/184

The revision in question pre-dates that material and pipeline. I believe
that this is the most reasonable answer as to why we are unable to build
with the sha in question. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Brian