Hello,

Thanks for bringing up the issue. This is a bug. User U2 is a pipeline
group admin for other pipeline groups (other than group with pipeline X).
While group admin U2 has permissions to create a new template, U2 must not
be able to extract a template from pipelines that U2 does not have access
to. Can you please log a bug in https://github.com/gocd/gocd/issues ?

A workaround as you mentioned would be to make user U1 a template admin for
the newly created template so that U1 can at least edit the configured
stages and jobs in the template.

Thank you,
Varsha