approved:fredteo123

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 01/06/04 05:13:56

Dear Teo,

I see that I should have trascribed the KBM name as they spell in Devanagari
as follows: Konknni Bhaxa Monddoll.

The truth about x and sh is that very few Konkani speakers are able to
pronounce the retroflex sh. No wonder the Goa Konkani Akademi has made a
rule about using x in preference to sh, except when it is a name of a
person, or if the word is recently borrowed with the spelling found in the
original language. That means, all the older borrowings from Sanskrit have
to be spelt with a x and not with sh. TSKK had taken this position even
before this rule.

M. Almeida, S.J.