Dear Goajournoites:

Domnic Peter Francis Fernandes, who is from Anjuna and spent a
lifetime working in West Asia (currently in Saudi Arabia), has this
amazing ability to recall the various facets of a Goa that existed a
generation or two ago. After coming across a series of his articles on
Goanet, some of us here (and elsewhere) urged him to put his pen to
paper. and publish his work as a book. Domnic agreed, initially
reluctantly!

The result is a 247-page book that talks about Goa as it existed in
the 1950s and the 1960s. It's foreward is written by Placido D'Souza,
a former Indian ambassador Placido P D'Souza, who served as an envoy
and diplomat for three decades in countries that include Kenya,
Panama, US (New York) and elsewhere.

Some articles in Domnic's book deal with the simple life then,
transportation, entertainment, preparing for the rains, a pilgrimage
to Old Goa, the lifestyle of the early Gulfees, radio broadcasts of
the era, social drinking in Goa, the old-way of vacationing, Goan
music from another era, the entry of banking in this till-recently
rustic region, the growth of hippy tourism in Anjuna, Goan funerals,
and Goa's growing visibility in cyberspace.

In all, the book contains some 31 chapters.

It is priced at Rs 350, and the official release will be on Friday,
April 27, 2007 at the Kala academy's Black Box at 5 pm. Since I too
played a small role in this book, may I invite all journalist
colleagues (specially those who believe, like me, that the printed
word can be our best gift to those who come by after we're gone) to
join in the function? This will be followed by light (and, typically
Goan, I was told) refreshments.

Also, if any of you are into doing book reviews, you could request a
review copy of the book, by writing in to the book's publisher Cecil
Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or on mobile 9822164364 with details of
where you expect the review to be published.

A copy of the book's cover is at http://flickr.com/photos/fn-goa/471033804/
More details at:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2007-April/056288.html

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday. Regards, FN
--
FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com