On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Stevan Harnad <har...@ecs.soton.ac.uk>wrote:

> For my part I will continue my narrow focus on the goal of getting OA
> (sic) universally provided. It had been my (foolish) fancy that that was
> GOAL's goal too!

I am quite happy for the list members, guided by the moderator, to decide
whether or not content mining should be in scope for this list. If they
decide not, I'm happy - in conjunction with others - to explore a new list.
It may be the best solution. And in any case I should applaud Stevan for
having created the GOAL list and also decided to hand it over to RP when
the time was right. In Open Source I have termed this the "Doctor Who
model". (
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/06/19/1326254/the-doctor-who-model-of-open-source)

[...]

> PS For the terminologically tipsy: Unrestricted article content-mining,
> like Google's book content-mining, would allow the extraction and
> republication of "factual data" from journal articles by licensees, but it
> would not provide unlicensed users with access to the full-text.

That is very clearly put and effectively exactly what I am asking for.

I'm not quite sure what "terminology" has to do with it - I don't know a
formal term for it - yet.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics