Ellen Faran, Director of the MIT Press, has given me permission to share
the following statement:

"The AAP's press release on the Research Works Act does not reflect the
position of the MIT Press; nor, I imagine, the position of many other
scholarly presses whose mission is centrally focused on broad
dissemination. We will not, however, withdraw from the AAP on this issue as
we value the Association?s work overall and the opportunity to participate
as a member of the larger and diverse publishing community."

*Comment*: I believe MIT Press is the first AAP-member press to disavow the
AAP position on the Research Works Act. Kudos and profound thanks to Ellen
Faran and MIT Press for their leadership on this issue.

Peter Suber
Director, Harvard Open Access Project
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Senior Researcher, SPARC
gplus.to/petersuber