On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:40 AM,  Jan W. Schoones, Walaeus Library,
The Netherlands, wrote:

>  You write: "Not only is OA research downloaded and cited more -- as common
> sense would expect, as a result of making it accessible free for all, rather
> than just for those whose institutions can afford a subscription".
>
> First, downloaded more - I can agree. But cited more? This might be an entire
> different matter. Usually, as common sense would expect, researchers will
> cite. The general public, however, will not cite - they do not publish
> research articles. Given that researchers have "more" access than the general
> public, due to the access policies of their institution (paid-for-access,
> open-access, access-by-delivery), the citations to articles will not be
> hampered by accessibility. Because when it comes to citing an article, a
> serious researcher has to read it. And to read it, means: getting access, in
> one way or another.

Jan, there are two assumptions in your reply:

(1) Researchers have sufficient access "one way or another".

and

(2) The extra downloads for open access articles come from the general
public (who read, but do not cite).

There are good reasons to doubt both these assumptions:

1. Researchers do not have sufficient access. All researchers are
familiar with access denial when they click on articles to which their
institutions do not have subscription access. When that way does not
work, the "other" way -- to pay $30 per article -- is not a viable
option, particularly in an online world where a researcher might be
searching and seeking immediate click-through access to dozens of
articles a day (if only to skim them and find that many of them are
not relevant enough to read, let alone cite).

All of this adds up -- and it adds up to the significantly increased
downloads *and* citations that study after study keeps finding, in
field after field -- an outcome that publishers are going to great
pains to try to deny.

2. In health-related research, the general public has a great interest
in reading the readable, relevant articles. But this general public
interest does not extend to all or even most scholarly and scientific
disciplines (even though for some open access advocates, the
hypothesis of a public desire and need to read the peer-reviewed
literature -- written mostly for fellow-researchers to use and build
upon, in furthering research -- has become a very persuasive motto:
"public access to publicly funded research").

It would require evidence -- not assumptions -- to demonstrate
(discipline by discipline) that the increased downloads of
peer-reviewed research resulting from open access (and found in every
discipline) come mostly from non-peer rather than peer access.

Until and unless such evidence is found, the natural null hypothesis
is that the increased downloads resulting from OA, found and reported
by study after study, are the cause of the increased citations, found
and reported by study after study.

And that the increased downloads and citations for OA research are
both coming from the primary intended readership of the peer-reviewed
scholarly and scientific journal literature: the scholars and
scientists for whose uptake and usage -- in building further research
-- the peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific journal literature is
conducted, written, peer-reviewed and published by researchers (and
funded by the general public) for the sake of research progress and
research applications, to the benefit of the general public.

(It is rather hard to understand how the research library community
could believe fervently in the journal affordability crisis while at
the same time believing that their users can nevertheless get access
to all they need "one way or another"...)

Stevan Harnad