Thank you Andrew.  Exactly true, but that simply says that the task is harder;
it does not make it undesirable. I simply am not interested in counting articles
except as this helps in establishing the question I asked. Counting articles has
been done many times by people with more money than I have and the estimates are
still quite wide-spread, though satisfactory as engineering estimates. Similar
problems arise win publications with the fake journals and the quality spectrum
(exactly the same problem you referred to in relation to counting researchers).

To tease out another category you did not mention I have coined the terms

(1)    'producing researcher' to be a person who adds to the scholarly
literature as an author or co-author at least once every three years, and

(2)    'non-productive researcher' as a person who researches the scholarly
literature but has no intention of adding to the corpus, such as a teacher
(school to university-level), a science journalist, most undergraduate students,
or a member of the general public.

The words 'active' vs 'non-active' simply will not do.

I have been pointed to a UNESCO Report which is proving very useful. I’ll post
something when I have more to write and a better estimate than 1M < N <10M.

Best wishes

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania, Australia