From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Stevan Harnad
Sent: Wednesday, 18 January 2012 2:50 PM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Research Works Act & AAP Members

Sandy Thatcher wrote onLibLicense-L Discussion Forum:

> a better approach... would be to require any government agency that
> funds research to require...  a final report...
> to be posted immediately upon acceptance... openly accessible to all

The primary intended users of refereed research articles
are researchers; A "final report" is not what they need, and
it's not what OA is about: the refereed final draft is.

[Arthur] Who knows what you are going on about unless they saw the
onLibLicense-L post? Not me. Your quoted pieces from Sandy Thatcher seem
totally reasonable. The agency should require in the final report acquitting
the grant an accounting of when and where the author(s) made their research
OA. Why not? It is a sensible idea. The agency can see whether their
requirements actually worked and take action (like reducing grants to that
institution) if it didn't.

This is just plain ordinary mandatory sense. Taking follow-up action is
necessary, otherwise we are in a situation like mandating that everyone
should wash their hands after having been to the toilet. What is the
compliance rate? I trust it is good in hospitals, but elsewhere? How was
this achieved? Not by logic!

> this approach is preferable because, unlike the current NIH
> policy, (1) it would make the research results immediately available
> (not after a 12-month delay...

What's needed immediately is the refereed research. What would be
preferable would be no 12-month delay...

[Arthur] I could say exactly the same as above. If you are going to comment
on someone else's post, please be clear instead of obfuscatory. The quote
suggests that Sandy Thatcher made a point, but we aren't told what it was.

> (2) it would
> make the results available in the exact form in which they were
> written up and not in the Green OA version

A " final report" is not the "exact form" in which results were written
up: the author's final, refereed draft (Green OA) is.

[Arthur] Sorry, you simply ignore reality while being logically and
irrelevantly correct. Authors do not treat their final draft as the
expression of the research - they reserve this status for the Version of
Record (published form). The Accepted Manuscript is a second-best. And the
AM is not Green OA if I understood you right - Green OA is defined as
author-OA as opposed to publisher-OA (Gold or hybrid)

> citation of a final report is a preferable form of scholarship than
> citation of a preliminary version of an article, which may differ in
> significant respects from the archival version.

What researchers  use and cite is the refereed article.

[Arthur] Confusing, but you are confusing three things here or obfuscating
with terminology. What a researcher/author cites is the Version of Record.
What an researcher/author tends to disseminate and use in teaching and in
discussion with colleagues is the Version of Record. What a
viewer/reader/researcher (particularly in the third world) wants is
anything. The VoR is best, but the AM is nearly as good. An earlier draft is
useful too.

I quite agree with your reaction to the assertion that the archival version
(VoR) of an article might be significantly different from the AM. This is so
rare as to merit controversy when it occurs and a disagreement with the
author(s) (apart from rewriting of non-English speakers' drafts). Publishers
add little value between the AM to get to the VoR.

> I am not sure why people are claiming that publishers like Elsevier,
> by supporting the Research Works Act, are opposed to the dissemination
> of knowledge. Many AAP-member publishers, including Elsevier (and Penn
> State Press), permit authors of articles in the journals they publish
> to post Green OA versions on their institutional or personal web
> sites.

And RWA would prevent their funders from requiring them to do it.

[Arthur] Totally agree. And that would cripple Green OA MANDATES. This Act
is targeted at MANDATES.

Stevan Harnad

[Arthur]
Arthur Sale