As I mentioned in my brief review which linked to Peter Webster's article, he
isn't saying humanities scholars will reject OA, but there needs to be nuance
within the larger conversation. His articulation was helpful to alert us to the
fact that different disciplines take differing approaches to scholarly
communication. Current funding models clearly favor the sciences, which tend to
be more flush with cash to cover APCs (which, as has been discussed, are being
exploited to keep commercial publishers in control of the system, and their
revenues).

I tend to agree with Falk, however. I appreciate the realities of disciplinary
and institutional inertia, the power of tradition, and the fear of jeopardized
reputations and (in the case of many scholarly societies) revenue streams. But
there are now virtually no technical barriers for any community or group of
scholars to start publishing a low cost OA journal before the end of day today
(depending on your time zone). The tools are readily available. These journals
can be designed to reduce the time period between submission and publication.

Whether new or existing, what is needed is for the scholarly communities and
the respected scholars within these communities to AUTHORIZE these journals
with their reputations. We will sit on editorial boards of these OA journals.
We will serve as reviewers for these journals. We will submit our research
articles to these journals. We will validate for our institutions the quality
of the research published in these journals for tenure and promotion, and for
the encouragement of junior scholars who are trying to build their own
reputations. We will encourage our institutions' provosts, department heads,
libraries and university presses to help fund/lend expertise to these journals
as they grow and require more administrative and technical support.

Gary F. Daught
Omega Alpha | Open Access
http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com
Advocate for open access academic publishing in religion and theology
oa.openacc...@gmail.com | @OAopenaccess