So the definition of Open Access as formulated in the BOAI is now no more than
'mortal improvisation', according to Harnad.

What's happening is that for reasons of expediency, the definition of OA (which
didn't represent 'Holy Writ', but an ambitious goal, for the benefit of
science) is being changed, quite arbitrarily, instead of any OA achievements
being measured against the goal that has been set. The fact that Open Access as
defined in the BOAI seems practically not achievable with the so-called 'green'
road is no doubt the underlying reason. The intellectually honest way to deal
with that is not to change the definition, but to admit that whilst what has
been, and can be, achieved with self-archiving is a most important step towards
the ultimate goal of Open Access, the goal is not quite achievable that way.
The difficulty for Harnad c.s. is of course to admit that the 'gold' route to
OA clearly *can* comply with Open Access as defined in the BOAI. Neither 'gold'
nor 'green' have achieved full Open Access yet, that's clear. But the Open
Access of 'gold' is according to the BOAI definition, and most of the open
access of 'green' isn't.

Changing the definition – the goal – only serves to promote confusion and
ambiguity. Tampering with the definition makes the term Open Access so
ambiguous as to be meaningless. Anybody can now call just about any publishing
or repository offering Open Access, removing all clarity of purpose contained
in the original definition. The agenda seems to have changed from striving for
Open Access in any way possible, to undermining, come what may, the Open Access
that can be brought by the 'gold' route. A very sad state of affairs.

Jan Velterop