On 28 Oct 2012, at 23:07, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> Giving up authors' preferred journals in favour of pure Gold OA journals was
> what (I think) BMC's Vitek Tracz and Jan Velterop had been lobbying for at
> the time

Stevan may think so, but that doesn't make it correct or accurate. What we
advocated (lobbied for in Stevan's words) at the time, and what I still
advocate now, is open access. Period. We argued that a system of open access
publishing at source is better than a subscription system, and we realised that
repositories would likely play an important role in achieving open access.
That's why BMC offered assistance with establishing repositories, and the
company still does: http://www.openrepository.com

There is also an object lesson in Poynder's interview. For OA advocates it is
that they come together on open access per se, irrespective of green, gold,
gratis, libre, etc. Subscriptioneers are as one, and their position is stronger
as a result (even 'green' OA supporters advocate subscriptions as the way to
pay for science publishing — "until all research is open access in
repositories", which, translated, means "till kingdom come").

Jan Velterop