Lisa Schiff writes

> Actually ORCID has a public API, though there is a request to use throttling
> so as not to overwhelm the servers.  I believe some guidance around this is
> being developed, but you can use the API now:
>
> http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/132354-searching-with-the-public-api

  An API is not the same thing as a stock of data that is freely
  available. For example CrossRef also has an API, you can conduct
  searches but you will never know if/when you have the complete data.

  Neither ORCID nor CrossRef are open access.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel