Jean-Claude raises an important point: from a technical perspective, there is
no necessary difference between journal repositories and other types of
repositories. Ideally, all will be interoperable for searching purposes and
cross-deposit will be routine. The only difference is what is collected in a
given repository. A journal collects the works that belong in the journal, a
disciplinary repository the articles that fit a particular discipline, an
institutional repository the output of the institution.

Other signs that this is already beginning to happen:

Library scholarly communication services frequently combine journal hosting and
the institutional repository, sometimes using the same software.
The SWORD protocol facilitates cross-deposit, including journal / repository
cross-deposit.
A growing number of journals, both OA and non-OA, routinely deposit all
articles in repositories as well - e.g. BioMedCentral deposits in both PMC and
institutional repositories (where this is technically feasible); a number of
journals deposit all articles in E-LIS for preservation purposes.
OJS (and likely other open access journal platforms) supports the OAI-PMH
protocol, facilitating cross-searching of journals and repositories.
>From a searching perspective, the tendency to start from databases or internet
>search engines like Google rather than browsing journals has been a growing
>factor for years, predating open access.

What is surprising is not the convergence per se, but rather how long the
transition is taking considering how much sense this makes. It is good to see
that mathematicians are taking the lead in furthering what to me is an obvious
next stage in publishing, overlay journals building on repositories:
http://www.nature.com/news/mathematicians-aim-to-take-publishers-out-of-publishing-1.12243

Years ago I would have argued that the question of archiving and preservation
could be left to a later date and should not distract from the task of making
the work open access in the first place. Now that we already have more than 20%
of the world's scholarly literature freely available within a couple of years
of publication, and the emergence of the possibility of publication of research
data becoming routine, I argue that this task needs to be addressed - not to
delay or distract us from making open access happen, but rather at the same
time. On the ground it is generally different people who are involved in the
tasks of preserving information, so moving forward with this need not take
anything away from the primary drive to OA. One of the arguments for deposit in
the institutional repository is that the work will be preserved - many an IR
service now needs to go about the task of fulfilling this promise.

best,

Heather Morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com