Frank,
This is an interesting point and probably the first solid argument in favor of CC-BY-NC that I've heard. But I want to highlight a few circumstances that, in my opinion, make this case an exception rather than a rule.

1. The book - like most (or all?) academic books published for profit - was a _review_ of existing knowledge, not new original research. The paper was also a review, and the entire journal "Living Reviews in Relativity" is by definition devoted to review papers rather than original research.

But: ~99% of other journals and papers are original research not reviews. Nobody would even consider them for inclusion in any book, because the results contained in them are too fresh, too narrow and not yet verified and established in a given discipline.

2. The journal has an exceptionally high impact factor and I guess it's one of the leading journals in your discipline.

Again, ~99% of papers out there don't enjoy the benefits of such high impact factors and prestige of the journal, which means that their chances of being even considered for re-publication anywhere else are very low. The primary concern for 99% of authors is not too much interest in their papers, but too little interest, too few readers and too low dissemination.

Best,
Marcin