Stephen

That used to true a long time ago, but may not be still.  Two concepts have
developed, at least to me here in Australia.

The first is the 'corresponding author'. This is the person that the journal
corresponds with, and the journal requires that person to acquire all
signatures and assent to the copyright agreement, as well as assent to
refereeing changes, galley proofs, etc. The corresponding author is the one
the journal regards as primary and legally responsible author. In the case
of articles by PhD students, the corresponding author may be them, or may be
the supervisor.

The second is the 'responsible author'. This is the person responsible for
the accuracy of the article, and usually also for complying with the
conditions of the grant which funded the research. The responsible author is
usually the Chief Investigator listed on the grant application. The
university and the research council loads the responsible author with (guess
what?) responsibility.  This concept transcends inter-institutional
research.

Having written that, not all research arises from grants. There is still
some wriggle room for the 'all authors are equal' view, but it is shrinking.
Think also of the 100+ co-authors of some publications. The legal situation
would probably be described as that 'all authors must agree since they hold
the copyright jointly'.

Arthur Sale

Tasmania, Australia