Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. I understand that 
many open access advocates feel strongly about the CC-BY license. As a 
reminder, not just I but the vast majority of the open access journals and 
self-archiving authors do not use this license.

I particularly appreciate David Prosser's post which points out that having 
material in multiple repositories, both disciplinary and institutional, helps 
to protect OA against the possibility of re-enclosure downstream. I fully agree 
with this point - a healthy OA future, regardless of license, needs open access 
archives.

Since others are pointing out their qualifications: I am a professional 
librarian with more than a decade's experience in negotiating licenses for 
electronic resources. I recently completed a PhD in the area of scholarly 
communication and open access, including work on mapping open access and CC 
licenses which I am continuing to work on.

My interests in this discussion are the advancement of the knowledge of 
humankind, and meeting the needs of scholarship and scholars themselves.

For some OA advocates of CC-BY by default, such as OA publishers using this 
license, they may have similar motives but should also acknowledge that they 
are advocating for their own business interests, too, whether they are for 
profit or not.

best,

Heather Morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com

_______________________________________________
GOAL mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/goal

Reply via email to