This corresponds for instance to the Freemium scheme of OpenEdition. Under this
scheme, papers are freely available in HTML and additional services are offered
to libraries that have taken a subscription (ePub, pdf, cataloguing facilities,
etc.)
Laurent

Le 19 avr. 2013 à 07:52, Jan Velterop a écrit :

> [...]
> version freely accessible online (immediately upon publication)."
>
> Who would subscribe, and what would a subscription entail?
>
> Jan Velterop
>
> On 19 Apr 2013, at 05:16, Stevan Harnad <amscifo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Jean-Claude Guédon
>> <jean.claude.gue...@umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>
>> The reference to free Gold journals covered by subscriptions is not clear to
>> me. Is this a reference to SCOAP3?
>>
>> It's a reference to all subscription journals that make their online version
>> freely accessible online (immediately upon publication).
>>
>> (No, SCOAP3 is a premature and unnecessary post-hoc consortial "membership"
>> scheme that I think will not prove sustainable. The HEP fields have already
>> provided near 100% (Green) OA for 20 years, un-mandated. What's needed next
>> is for institutions and funders to mandate that all other disciplines do
>> likewise.)
>>
>>  Stevan Harnad
>>
>> Le jeudi 18 avril 2013 à 07:45 +0100, Stevan Harnad a écrit :
>>>
>>> 1. The Green/Gold Open Access (OA) distinction concerns whether it is the
>>> author or the publisher that provides the OA.
>>> 2. This distinction was important to mark with clear terms because the
>>> conflation of the two roads to OA has practical implications and has been
>>> holding up OA progress for a decade and a half.
>>> 3. The distinction between paid Gold and free Gold is very far from being a
>>> straightforward one.
>>> 4. Free Gold can be free (to the author) because the expenses of the Gold
>>> journal are covered by subscriptions, subsidies or volunteerism.
>>> 5. The funds for Paid Gold can come from the author's pocket, the author's
>>> research grant, the author's institution or the author's funder.
>>> 6. It would be both absurd and gratuitously confusing to mark each of these
>>> economic-model differences with a color-code.
>>> 7. Superfluous extra colors would also obscure the role that the
>>> colour-code was invented to perform: distinguishing author-side OA
>>> provision from publisher-side OA provision.
>>> 8. So, please, let's not have "diamond," "platinum" and "titanium" OA,
>>> despite the metallurgical temptations.
>>> 9. They amplify noise instead of pinpointing the signal, just as
>>> SHERPA/Romeo's parti-colored Blue/Yellow/Green spectrum (mercifully ignored
>>> by almost everyone) does.
>>> 10. OA is about providing Open Access to peer-reviewed journal articles,
>>> not about cost-recovery models for OA publishing (Gold OA).
>>> 11. The Gold that publishers are fighting for and that researcher funders
>>> are subsidizing (whether "pure" or "hybrid") is paid Gold, not free Gold.
>>> 12. No one knows whether or how free Gold will be sustainable, any more
>>> than they know whether or how long subscription publishing can co-exist
>>> viably with mandatory Green OA.
>>> 13. So please leave the economic ideology and speculation out of the
>>> pragmatics of OA policy making by the research community (institutions and
>>> 14. Cost-recovery models are the province of publishers (Gold OA).
>>> 15. What the research community needs to do is mandate OA provision.
>>> 16. The only OA provision that is entirely in the research community's
>>> hands is Green OA.
>>> And, before you ask, please let's not play into the publishers' hands by
>>> colour-coding OA also in terms of the length of the publisher embargo:
>>> 3-month OA, 6-month OA, 12-month-OA, 24-month-OA, millennial OA: OA means
>>> immediate online access. Anything else is delayed access. (The only
>>> quasi-exception is the "Almost-OA" provided by the author via the
>>> institutional repository's email-eprint-request Button when complying with
>>> publisher embargoes -- but that too is clearly not OA, which is immediate,
>>> free online access.)
>>> And on no account should the genuine, substantive distinction between
>>> Gratis OA (free online access) and Libre OA (free online access plus
>>> various re-use rights) be color-coded (with a different shade for every
>>> variety of CC license)!
>>> Harnad, S., Brody, T., Vallieres, F., Carr, L., Hitchcock, S., Gingras, Y,
>>> Oppenheim, C., Stamerjohanns, H., & Hilf, E. (2004) The Access/Impact
>>> Problem and the Green and Gold Roads to Open Access. Serials Review 30.
>>> Shorter version: The green and the gold roads to Open Access. Nature Web
>>> Focus.

Laurent Romary
INRIA & HUB-IDSL
laurent.rom...@inria.fr