Stevan Harnad wrote:

> There's no need for the OA community to hear about librarians' struggles with
> their serials budgets when
> it's at the expense of OA

As previous messages in this thread clearly show, the ultimate fate of the
subscription model, and how it will unfold, is completely unknown, so that any
contribution that will help to answer the following question "If Green OA goes
from 20% to 100%, and if the demise of the subscription model ensues, when will
subscription cancellation begin?" is relevant in my opinion.

We may not like the hypothesis that embargo-free Green OA journals may be the
first to be cancelled, but it is kind of logical, though from a very limited
perspective. And it's a good thing that it has been raised here, in order to
allow for the "OA community" to put the issue on a more general level, like
when Stevan points out that actions or policies which may seem justified
locally, because they allow for short term savings, can be globally harmful in
the long term.

Marc Couture