From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Andrew A. Adams
Sent: Wednesday, 27 November 2013 11:41 AM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci); Jan Velterop
Cc: Rick Anderson; scholc...@ala.org; LibLicense-L Discussion Forum
Subject: [GOAL] Re: [SCHOLCOMM] Unanimity (Re: Monographs)

Jan,

There are reasons for requiring green deposit even where an article is
already OA on the journal. First, that canchange - one of my articles was
published in a new Journal (Vol 2(2)) which a couple of years later was sold
by bepress to iley and became closed - very annoyingly to me on two grounds
- I was not informed of the change and the original URL stopped working.
Second is the very practical measure that it is easy for an institution to
check whether every article deposited has a full text paper in the
repository (simply by checking that a suitable document is there - the fact
that it would be possible for an author to upload a blank document requires
an assumption of malfeasance far beyond the likelihood of it ever happening
- the chances that sooner or later someone would spot and report such an
upload are so high that very few would be foolish enough to do this).
Compare this to checking (regularly because of my first point) that the URL
(which is more likely to a web page rather than adeep link tothedocument)
gives open access, which takes a ridiculous amount of work. Institutions
almost universally already collect for very good reasons the meta-data of
their researchers'
output. Adding the requirement to submit the full text of the accepted
version is a very small amount of extra work done in a scalable manner.
Everything else does not properly scale.

On the point about libre OA and gratis OA, I'm afraid you are wrong about
open in English meaning the same as libre. Open has exactly the same
problems as "free" in terms of being overloaded. I'm working on a paper at
the moment on this issue, but the simple pointer to this is the use of the
word "open"
in the two phrases:

Open Educational Resources (OERs), in which open generally means "libre"

Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs), in which open generally means
"gratis"

None of the main MOOC platforms have libre licensing of the content, not
even the non-profit ones. MIT's OpenCourseWare (not the first or the only
OER resource but a major instance of it) specifically provides for a
CC-BY-NC license.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and Deputy