After thoroughly reading Beall's paper I can find three reasonable points
raised.

-      Speculation on the effect of the price mechanism introduced between
author and publisher through Gold OA journals with APC's. This is something
that deserves close attention. It should be interesting to discuss the SCOAP
model (http://scoap3.org/) in this regard.

-      The supposed absence of the a community function in broad OA
megajournals. Is that true? Is it to be regretted? Are there alternative
communities that function separate from the journal proper?

-      The supposed lack of warnings issued by OA advocates against predatory
journals. I at least partly second Beall here. I myself was taken by surprise
by the amazing speed with which these bogus journals came to rise. And DOAJ
waited far too long with more stringent criteria.

All three issues merit further discussion but alas in Beall's paper these
points are drowning in a sea of unproductive nonsense.

BTW many researchers in my university effectively have a mandate: to publish in
first quartile impact factor JCR journals .....

Jeroen Bosman
Utrecht University Library