The gap here may be the service provided by the repository. How easy or
difficult is it to deposit in your institutional subject repository? In my
experience this is often much more difficult than it needs to be.

If faculty or students upload their work, make sure this doesn't take any more
than a few keystrokes and give them the URL to share right away (that's a
service we get from this), not a few days or weeks later after you've checked
the metadata and copyright. Make copyright the responsibility of the person
doing the deposit, not the library or repository, or offer this service as an
option with the delay this entails.

>From this service perspective I can see the benefits of initiatives like
>PeerLibrary. In the long run we are all better off with professionally run
>open access archives to look after preservation and participation in relevant
>standards, but when institutional services are too hard to use there is a lot
>to be said for DIY.

A lot of my own informal scholarly work is posted on my blogs using Google
Blogger or my new Wordpress blog. Neither Google nor Wordpress has any
obligation to make sure that this work continues to be available, so this makes
my work vulnerable, but at least it's a way to get the work out there.

My perspective is that libraries need to understand that this is the collection
of the future and develop programs and services to support this work rather
than trying to fit author self-archiving into traditional publishing. The
questions should not be, "are you allowed to deposit this in the IR given
publisher copyright?" but rather "are you allowed to transfer all copyright to
publishers given your obligation to the public to share your work through the
IR"? The strong institutional deposit mandate (as Stevan recommends) is a good
way to change this question at every university.

Green policies provide the groundwork for open access publishing to happen.
Once you have incentive to look for publishers that provide good dissemination
practices, you have incentive to choose open access journals (all else being
reasonably equal).

best,

Heather Morrison