Putting aside the tit for tat nature of some of this discussion, one of
the big problems for making available works that have been deposited to
repositories is the complexity of the copyright compliance.

There are the rules imposed by publishers, and then the possibility that
the institution or funder has a special Œarrangement¹ with publishers that
then override the standard copyright position obtainable from their
websites. And sometimes publishers change their rules - like the length of
embargo. To add to this there is the confusion over whether the author is
under a mandate - which affects the Elsevier situation. Yes, Stevan - I
know you argue that Elsevier¹s position is semantics, but nonetheless it
adds to the muddiness of the waters here.

I wrote about this on 23 May last year: ³Walking in quicksand, keeping up
with copyright agreements"
http://aoasg.org.au/2013/05/23/walking-in-quicksand-keeping-up-with-copyrig
ht-agreements/

My conclusion then was:

"These changing copyright arrangements mean that the process of making
research openly accessible through a repository is becoming less and less
able to be undertaken by individuals. By necessity, repository deposit is
becoming solely the responsibility of the institution.²

Danny

Dr Danny Kingsley
Executive Officer
Australian Open Access Support Group