From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [goal-boun...@eprints.org] on behalf of Mauricio
Tuffani [mauri...@tuffani.net]
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:26 AM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Still on the scientific open access journals in Brazil -
response to Mister Jeffrey Beall

[Message sent again with the same text, but in appropriate format and
with shorter links. Please disregard the previous e-mail. Sorry for
the unformatting.]

Dear GOAL members,

Let me please introduce myself. I am the journalist Mauricio Tuffani,
quoted by Mr. Jeffrey Beall and Mrs. Bianca Amaro. I am a science
writer and collaborator of "Folha de S. Paulo"
(http://www.folha.com.br), the largest Brazilian daily newspaper. I
have a blog hosted by this newspaper
(http://folha.com/mauriciotuffani).

It is not for me to say on behalf of Mr. Beall, but I must clarify
misconceptions related to my posts and articles.

I am not a researcher, as correctly said Mrs. Amaro, and she is not
the first person to highlight this fact. The same thing was said by
the board of directors of the National Institute for Space Research
(INPE), which in 1989 I accused of defrauding the Amazon deforestation
estimates. In the following year, the institute recognized its "small
error" of about 50% and fired the coordinator of that work.

And so it has been all these years.

I would like to clarify that I have admiration for the Open Access .
However, I am a journalist, and it is my duty to point out distortions
that are of public interest.

And there have been many distortions in the Brazilian academic
production in recent years. While the number of published articles
nearly quadrupled since 2000 (http://rs.gs/ldB), their relative impact
to the world stagnated in the same period (http://rs.gs/jC2).

Here in Brazil is very common to opt for quantitative growth believing
that later will be possible to increase the quality. Because of this
frequent illusion the country has mountains of waste in its economy,
education, culture and other fields such as science.

In Brazilian science and graduate education this quantitative growth
without attention to quality involves several activities. Academic
publishing is one of them, and within there is Open Access.

The common point of all my posts indicated by Mr. Beall is the fact
that poor quality journals have been accepted in the Qualis database,
of CAPES (Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education
Personnel), of the Ministry of Education.

Unlike what said Mrs. Bianca Amaro, I do not criticize "the use of
this database for evaluation of Brazilian science in graduate
programs." I just reported that the Qualis database accepts predatory
journals (http://rs.gs/f8c).

And I have reported this in all my posts highlighting clarifications as follows:

"Both in the online open access, with fees paid by authors, as in the
traditional model maintained by annual subscriptions or fees per
article download from the Internet, the reputable journals take months
or even over a year to review and accept articles, or rejected them.
Accused of prioritizing minimizing costs and maximizing profits, the
"predatory publishers" not only reduce to a few weeks the acceptance
of articles, but are less selective and rigorous in this process."

Mr. Jeffrey Beall's message header "Open Access in Brazil" was in
fact too generic, but made no mistake. I have often received
information that good Brazilian OA journals —which really want to
build the golden road quoted by Mrs. Amaro— are losing the preference
of researchers to predatory journals.

I do not have metrics to show this preference for predatory journals,
but I could show that more than 200 of them were accepted by Qualis,
bringing consequences that come to be ridiculous (http://rs.gs/L9y) or
anecdotal (http://rs.gs/z3b).

Perhaps M r s. Amaro does not know this situation —and I do not know
if she ought to know it— but those who should know it act like they
did not know: CAPES, CNP q (National Council for Scientific and
Technological Development), state funding agencies and universities.

I am very glad that this issue has been brought to this discussion
group. Sometimes problems of Brazilian science have been resolved "
with a little help from" its friends outside Brazil. It happened, for
example, with the fraudulent estimate of Amazon deforestation to which
I referred at the beginning of this message.

If the growing garbage from predatory journals in Brazil continue to
be ignored, it will become much larger than the bucolic "golden road
in the country" glorified by Mrs. Amaro.

With my due respect for her opinion, I think her overreaction to the
generic header of Mr. Beall's message is actually a disregard of a
serious threat to the Open Access in Brazil. This threat is the
inclusion of predatory journals in Qualis supported by the code of
silence around this issue in the Brazilian academia.

( I know that I stretched too much what I had to say, but I can not
resist sharing the following. I received right now a message sent by a
full professor. He criticizes me for the inclusion of a journal on my
list of "predatory Qualis ". And this journal says on its website: "21
day rapid review process with international peer-review
standards".[http://rs.gs/wcS])

Thank you for your attention.

Maurício Tuffani
Journalist, science writer